Monday, September 28, 2009

Optimum Anabolics - Day 59/Pop A Squat

My computer is loaded with audio files containing interviews with various experts and gurus on subjects ranging from financial advice to spirituality to nutrition to fitness. Some people listen to music from iTunes during the day or stream their favorite radio stations right to there computers. I like my music, too, but mostly I listen to information.

Back on Day 56, I was listening to an interview with a strength coach and track athlete (discus and hammer throwing, not running) named Dan John. The advice he was giving out was very practical for all levels and types of training so I decided to check out his website. A few clicks later, I found a video of Dan coaching a group of personal trainers at a strength conference. Since today was my leg day, I figured it was appropriate to post it. Not only does he verbally break big lifts like squats and dead lifts down to easy to understand steps, he has the entire class perform each component in order to experience the proper technique for themselves. Needless to say, he is a remarkable coach.

If you do lifts such as squats, whether with body weight or underneath the olympic bar, you need to check out this video. If you're like me, most likely you have some room for improvement that will reduce your risk of injury and provide for bigger strength and/or endurance gains. Try not to get freaked out that the video is nearly an hour long. While I do recommend watching the whole session, even just watching the first 5 minutes or so will change your form for the better.

Take it away Coach Dan...

Teaching the Olympic Lifts



WORKOUT - LEGS


All 3 supersets of the
Week 9, Day 3 workout were leg related.
Superset 1: Forward DB Lunge , Lying Leg Curls
Superset 2: Donkey Calf Raises, Barbell Squats

Superset 3: Seated Calf Raises, Dead Lifts


Total Time => 45:47


Comments:

Shoulders and arms sore today from weekend workouts.


I was absolutely spent and completely soaked after this workout.

Doing sets of 15 on anything leg related is taxing to say the least.


DIET - PROTEIN DEPRIVATION

My post-workout breakfast this morning would have to be my all-time favorite. Eggs and pancakes. Does it get any better than that?


I scrambled my 2 whole eggs with red onion, red and yellow pepper, and topped them with 1 oz of raw milk cheddar and 1 oz of grass fed mozzarella. A few shakes of Louisiana Hot Sauce were necessary, too.


This morning's version of pancakes were
Polly's oaty cakes. The use of rolled oats in this recipe gives these cakes a density that I love.

Mid-morning, I snacked on the last 3 carob energy cubes and raw cashews, brazil nuts, almonds, and walnuts.


At lunch, I went with the cashew cabbage salad from our favorite cookbook,
The Ultra-Metabolism Cookbook by Dr. Mark Hyman. I had half of the dressing left from last week so this was a very quick and easy meal today.

Hummus spread on a half of a red bell pepper was my afternoon snack.

For dinner, Christina made up another stellar pot full of 3 bean chili from, you know, that one cookbook we like.

The Cookie Cop made up a special batch of gluten free oatmeal cinnamon cookies for Christina so I had to try one for dessert to make sure they were ok. Wow were they good! If we would've had some ice cream in the house, the batch would've been in danger of extinction.

No comments:

Post a Comment