Saturday, September 12, 2009

Optimum Anabolics - Day 43/Scott Goes Veggy (Sorta)

One of the keys to producing change in the body is to keep it guessing. Our physical bodies are very adaptive and become efficient rather quickly. This is why we fall into routines in our lives. We get into a groove and get comfortable where we're at.

The Optimum Anabolics program is designed around the idea that once you start getting comfortable with either your nutrition or your workout routine, one or both of those things can be turned totally upside down.

That was definitely the case today.

In the home gym, it's back to taking all sets to muscular failure. In addition, for the next three weeks, the routines will force more work into roughly the same amount of time. This is known as Progressive Loading. Click here to learn more about this concept in Optimum Anabolics.

The biggest change this week is in the kitchen. My carnivorous ways will need to be held in check as I hold myself to just 30 grams of true protein (meats, fish, eggs, whey powder, dairy) for the entire day. This protein meal is to be consumed immediately after my workout.

This is definitely going to be a challenge for me. If you've been following this blog, you may have noticed I eat quite a substantial amount of eggs and put whey protein isolate powder in darn near everything.

The purpose of eating this way and timing it with an increase in exercise load, according to the author of Optimum Anabolics, Jeff Anderson, is to force the body to find a new way to grow now that it's main rebuilding source (protein) is being restricted. Jeff continues to write that the body should respond by increasing testosterone and human growth hormone to compensate for the lack of protein.

Pretty cool, huh?

Let's get started!

WORKOUT - SHOULDERS

Superset 1: DB Front Lateral Raises, Standing Arnold Presses
Superset 2: DB Rear Raises, Side DB Raises
Superset 3: DB Shrugs, Twisting DB Presses

Total Time => 33:56

Comments:

My shoulder muscles have definitely gotten stronger since the last Optimum Anabolics Progressive Load workout.

I took a 15 minute bike ride after the weights for some light cardio work.

DIET - PROTEIN DEPRIVATION

For breakfast this morning, I finished off the last of the oatgurt with an apple, tons of cinnamon, a splash of almond milk, and two spoonfuls of almond butter. Very satisfying!

Later in the morning, a visit to the farmer's market was required. While there, I picked up a few of The Cookie Cop's energy bars and munched on one of those for a snack.

During our neighborhood garage sale, I snuck in a quick "Hugh Jass" salad of spinach, arugula, red and green peppers, celery, scallions, tomato and cucumber. For a dressing, I mixed up some spices along with an avacado and some apple cider vinegar.

After we closed up shop on the sale, it was workout time, then dinner followed by Buckeye football! My Saturday routine of late has been to, shall we say, relax on the nutrition. Tonight was no exception. :~)

Christina and I got take out Chinese food for the first time in quite a while. I had the chicken lo mein with veggies. This meal had the perfect amount of post-workout protein for me...4 oz. The portion of lo mein could've fed me and another person or two, so a good sized bowl went into the fridge for leftovers. I snuck in a Bombay Sapphire martini, also, in preparation for the big OSU/USC game.

Dessert involved a gi-normous bowl of crumbled Cheryl's oatmeal raisin cookies with PJ Madison's Bella Chocolate Cherry ice cream. Um, yeah, there may have been a second bowl. :~)

The Buckeye's were involved in yet another nerve-wracking game so that required a glass of B&B to get me through. Yikes. Hopefully tomorrow isn't too rough...

No comments:

Post a Comment