Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Optimum Anabolics - Day 33/Chasing More With More

Do you all have at least one friend or family member that is, in an attempt to be gentle, rather overweight but exercises regularly? They might even be pushing themselves hard at the gym but still stay the same weight or even gain. I'm sure you know someone like this and I'm no exception.

One particular person comes to mind for me. Not too long ago, they told me that they had recently *added* 30 minutes of treadmill work AFTER their resistance training (which they are performing with very little in the way of rest periods) for 40-45 minutes. If you're scoring at home, that's 1 hour and 15 minutes of some serious strain on the body. Yet they were getting no results which, for them, meant they weren't getting any leaner.

My response? STOP! See, what's stopping this person from getting leaner is not the fact that they're not working out long enough or hard enough. This person is chasing their poor nutrition with more exercise. This will not work. Check out this awesome video of "The Pizza Vs. The Treadmill".

My advice was to take some of that energy, that focus, that was going into their training and see where their nutrition could be improved. I said imagine what might change if they took 30 minutes to prepare some healthy, nutritionally dense meals rather than spinning away on a treadmill.

Where in your life can you get MORE with LESS?

WORKOUT - CHEST/ABS

2 supersets of the Day 5 workout were chest related, followed by a superset of abs work.

Superset 1: DB Pullover, Incline DB Press
Superset 2: Flat DB Flye, Incline DB Press
Superset 3: Weighted Ball Roll-Outs, Reverse Crunches On Stability Ball (FF to about 3:20 to see this killer ab exercise in action)

Total Time => 41:26

Comments:

My entire upper body felt strong and pumped today. That "buzzing" feeling in my muscles was back, also.

I continued to put a lot of focus into keeping strict form this week.

Overall it was a very good week. One more week of "easy does it" lifting and then it's back to hitting it hard.

I snuck in some light extra credit cardio this evening by mowing the lawn before dinner. No self-propelled mower in my house. Those things go too slow! (:

By the end of the day, my abs were already tight from those reverse crunches. WOW!

DIET - HIGH PROTEIN


Breakfast started off with a BIG bowl of apple-cinnamon oatgurt and a big scoop of almond butter. The meal was topped off with a smoothie. This morning, I put in about a half cup each of chilled coffee and almond milk, a frozen nana, 3 TBS of coconut milk, 2 heaping TBS of cocoa powder, 3 shakes of chili powder, and some (might have been more) cinnamon. I took it easy on the xanthan gum today and it came out perfect.

Mid-morning snack was my usual 1/2 cup of yogurt with 1/3 scoop of whey protein isolate powder and 4 tsp of ground flax seeds.

A salesman from one of our material suppliers was in town today and took me and a co-worker to lunch at Mezzo Italian Kitchen and Wine. Check out their menus here. It's a very cool place and we were able to take advantage of their patio seating since the weather was picture-perfect today. I had the meatball appetizer (quantity = 4) and the house salad. Both choices were quite good and very satisfying.

For a mid-afternoon snack, I popped my usual nut mix of cashews, almonds, walnuts, and Brazil nuts while gobbling down a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese.

Dinner tonight was leftover (love leftovers!) chicken cacciatore with a tomato, basil, mozzarella salad.

How good does this look??

















As a pre-bed snack, I went with the 1/2 scoop of whey protein isolate powder mixed with a little water.

No comments:

Post a Comment