Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Optimum Anabolics - Day 40/Too Chicken

A recent article published by GM Watch described how chickens refused to eat the genetically modified (GM) feed unknowingly being given to them. The keeper of the chickens had the maize (corn) analyzed and reported the following:

"It contained BT1 which makes the maize insect resistant, as well as Roundup which makes it weed resistant."

Sorry? Did you just say the corn CONTAINED an isecticide and a herbicide?

What does this say to me? It says that not only do I need to pay attention to how the crops I eat are grown, I also should be asking what the meat and fish I consume are eating.

If you need more reasons to ask where your food comes from and how it's raised, please read the remainder of the article and click through some of the links. Your eyes will be raised.

Need help? Go to www.localharvest.org and find a farmer near you. Believe me, the good ones love to tell all the good things that they are doing (as well as what they're not doing) to provide you with a life-giving product.

WORKOUT - CHEST/ABS

2 supersets of the Day 5 workout were chest related, followed by a superset of abs work.

Superset 1: DB Pullover, Incline DB Press
Superset 2: Flat DB Flye, Incline DB Press
Superset 3: Weighted Ball Roll-Outs, Reverse Crunches On Stability Ball (FF to about 3:20 to see this killer ab exercise in action)

Total Time => 42:15

Comments:

After 2 days of feeling really strong while lifting, I was a little off today. Nothing serious but I did pull up short on a couple of my Incline DB Press sets.

I continued to put a lot of focus into keeping strict form this week.

Overall it was a very good week. Again, my strength seemed to really be up a notch.

The 3-week period of "light" lifting is over. Two days of HIIT cardio await and then it's back to pushing hard with the weights.

Big diet changes coming, too!

DIET - HIGH PROTEIN


Breakfast (post-workout) started off with one of the spiciest omelettes I've made in a while. Woke me up for sure! Sauteed in a teaspoon or so of coconut oil was a quarter of a red onion, a banana pepper, and a jalapeno pepper. To that, I added about 2 oz of turkey sausage, one whole egg and two egg whites. Arriba! The whole mix got topped off with Christina's homemade tomato sauce and 1 oz of grass-fed, organic mozerella cheese.

Breakfast carbs this morning were the other half of The Cookie Cop's energy bar and 3 homemade coconut-chocolate maple nut oaties. Wow! These are SO very good. Many, many thanks to Heather at www.heathereatsalmondbutter.com for sending us the best batch ever AND making them gluten free!

Here I am ready to pounce on one of those oaties...
















Mid-morning snack was my usual 1/2 cup of yogurt with 1/3 scoop of whey protein isolate powder and 4 tsp of ground flax seeds.

For lunch, I heated up (I have a toaster oven in my office so I can avoid the microwave food death machine) some farmer's market broccoli and green beans I had steamed up the night before and about 4 oz of gyro meat leftover from Saturday night's football dinner. This made for a quick and easy lunch but man, I needed an ice bath afterwards! I better wait til cooler weather arrives before firing up the toaster oven again. :-)

For a mid-afternoon snack, I popped my usual nut mix of cashews, almonds, walnuts, and Brazil nuts while gobbling down a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese.

Dinner tonight was leftover meatloaf sprinkled with a few shakes of Louisiana Hot Sauce with a side of green beans (clearly I'm on a bean kick!) sauteed up with garlic, red onion, and mini portabello mushrooms. Meatloaf is one of those dishes that tastes even better as leftovers. Ever notice that about some meals?

My plate...















No snack tonight since I'm heading off to bed a little early.


No comments:

Post a Comment