Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Optimum Anabolics - Day 54/BOO-cha

I assure you this post has nothing to do with Stewart Scott from ESPN who is known for hollering out "BOO-YEAH!" during highlight clips. :)

There have been several posts in the blogosphere recently that have mentioned one of my favorite beverages. Kombucha! Correct pronunciation (as far as I know) = com-BOO-chah. Around the Overall Fitness household, it's just known as "bucha".

Since I make/brew my own and drink 4-6 oz of the stuff after nearly every meal, I thought I might join the trend and do a little post of my own.

First, with a little help from www.kombucha.org, here is what it is...

The Kombucha Culture, sometimes mistakenly referred to as a mushroom, is a symbiotic, probiotic colony of yeast and bacteria (the friendly type). Kombucha Tea is made by combining the culture, with a mixture of black tea, and sugar. The ingredients are allowed to "ferment", usually from 7-10 days. The resulting beverage contains dozens of elements, many of which are known to promote healing for a variety of conditions.

Now, with assistance from www.getkombucha.com, here's why I drink it...

Top 10 Noticeable Benefits of Drinking Kombucha Tea Daily

+ Prevents Acid Reflux

+ Assists With Weight Loss

+ Aids in Digestion of Heavy Meals

+ Strengthens Hair, Restores Hair

+ More Energy in the Morning

+ Helps With Sleep

+ Relives Constipation

+ Post Work Out Recovery Drink (Cardiovascular and Resistance Training)

+ Reduces Severity of Hangovers

+ Better Skin Complexion, Tighter Skin Tone

Not too shabby, eh?

Now to my brewing process. My ingredients are as follows:
  • 3 quarts (96 oz) of fresh, filtered water
  • 1 C sugar (I use cheap white sugar)
  • 6 tea bags (any tea will do EXCEPT herbal teas)
  • 1 Kombucha culture
  • 1 C or so of previously brewed kombucha
Starting out, I boil a quart (32 oz) of water and then dissolve one cup (or a little more) of sugar in the boiling water.

Next, I brew the tea with 6 bags for 10 minutes (or longer).

Starting out...















After the tea has brewed it's time to add it to the jar where it will be fermenting for 7-10 days (or more if it's cooler in the house).

I pour one quart of water into the freshly brewed tea to cool it off. We now have 2 quarts of liquid.

The 3rd quart gets poured directly into the fermenting jar.

















The 2 quarts of cooled tea then get added to the fermenting jar. I put a paper towel over the jar and secure it with a rubber band.

All set to hang out for a few days...


















Flash forward to tonight and we're all set to bottle it up!
















Bottled and ready for drinking...




























WORKOUT - CHEST/ABS

2 supersets of the Week 8 Day 5 workout were chest related, followed by a superset of abs work

Superset 1: Incline DB Flye,
Dips - Chest version (I had to do some assisted reps here...phew!)
Superset 2: DB Front Lateral Raises (palms up),
Incline Push Ups (I got creative and used 2 chairs and ladder!)
Superset 3: Mountain Climbers w/ ankle weights, Reverse Ball Crunches

Total Time => 46:13

Comments:

I have to admit, I just did not have it in the home gym today. My strength was lacking; particularly on the dumbbell flyes. Good thing tomorrow is cardio work only.

Legs were not sore but stiff for sure. They got worked well.

I went with 8 LB weights on my ankles today while doing mountain climbers. Abs...done.

It was a good week in the home gym even though today was somewhat disappointing.

Strict form continues to be a point of focus.

DIET - PROTEIN DEPRIVATION

My post-workout meal this morning was delicious. I cooked up 2 eggs sunny-side up with half a red pepper and a few slices of red onion in a teaspoon or so of coconut oil. I put them on a piece of Ezekiel bread along side 2 oz of homemade grass fed beef meatloaf. The eggies were followed up by 2 of Polly's oaty cakes with a TBS of organic butter and 2 TBS of pure Ohio maple syrup.

Mid-morning snack was 3 carob energy cubes
along with a handful of raw nut mix (cashews, almonds, walnuts, Brazil nuts).

Lunch was a fantastic cashew salad with cabbage cole slaw mix, red peppers, carrots, and scallions dressed with an almond butter, rice vinegar, lemon juice dressing. The recipe was from our favorite Ultra-Metabolism Cookbook by Dr. Mark Hyman. This salad is really, really good.

At snack time, I had a green bell pepper with lemony hummus.

Dinner was eggplant parm from Day 51 along with some roasted, organic spaghetti squash from the farmer's market. Delicious is an understatement. (~:

No comments:

Post a Comment