Saturday, September 5, 2009

Optimum Anabolics - Day 36/To Market, To Market

With this being a 3-day holiday weekend, our intentions were to get some rest. Most weekend mornings, the pooch comes up and nudges me some time between 4:30 and 5:30 A.M. to let me know it's time to eat. It seems pets know no holidays and do not discriminate between a weekend day or a week day. Anyone else have a pet that's as reliable if not more that their alarm clock? If your power went out overnight, would you still be on time for work because your furry friend needed to eat breakfast or go tinkle? (-:

Over the 14 years that we've had the pooch, I've grown to accept this and pick myself out of bed to drop some food in her dish. Many Saturdays and/or Sundays, I just wind up starting my day from that point. Today, though, it was back to bed! Yes!

After breakfast we made our weekly journey over to the farmer's market to grab some fresh, homegrown and/or homemade goodies. Here's what we wound up with today:
















Today's grand total? $16.25. We stopped at one of the chain grocery stores after the market and I happened to notice that the organic broccoli was ON SALE for $2.99 per head. Price paid at the market...$1.50.

My advice: go meet a farmer. Shake their dirty hand. Ask them questions. When you find a good one, buy as much as you can from them.

The rest of the day was spent watching college football (GO BUCKS!) and prepping meals. Christina took many of the tomatoes you see in the photo and made up her family pasta sauce recipe. That will be coming in to play for tomorrow's dinner. I personally can't wait! :)

WORKOUT - SHOULDERS

Superset 1: Lying Cable Pullover, Twisting DB Military
Superset 2: Dip Bar Shrugs, Side DB Lateral Raises

Superset 3: DB Shrugs, Barbell Military

Total Time => 38:57

Comments:

Week 6 continues a 3 week break of sorts from the beating the first three weeks puts on you. It's a welcome break, believe me!

Much better on the weight choices this week.

For my "extra credit" cardio today I did a 15 minute bike ride. Since riding is essentially zero impact, it was great for getting the heart rate up there without messing with my left heal. Thankfully, it is coming along nicely in the healing process.

DIET - HIGH PROTEIN

Breakfast was a little strange this morning. We were out of eggs, so I cut up some left over chicken and a tomato. I know, not the first thing that comes to mind when you think of breakfast. After that, I got out the blender and made up a coffee smoothie with one cup of chilled coffee, 2 heaping tablespoons of cocoa, lots of cinnamon, a few shakes of chili powder, a tsp or so of chocolate extract and coconut milk. As this was blending up, I sprinkled in some stevia to sweeten and xanthan gum to thicken and I was all set. But wait! I needed a little crunch so I tossed in my raw nut cocktail that didn't get eaten yesterday. Good start to the day!

For lunch, I chopped up some cukes, tomatoes, celery, and scallions and put that over some broccoli slaw mix. As a dressing, I made up a spicy cilantro-lime from our favorite cookbook. Absolutely fantastic! I also had a bell pepper stuffed with some tuna salad that was left over from earlier in the week. It was a very refreshing lunch on a warm September day!

I paused to take a pic with a mouthful of tuna and pepper :~)

















After the Ohio State football game was over, I changed into the workout gear and headed downstairs to the home gym. You better believe I stretched those calves and feet post-workout today!

A shower was a necessity and then we headed out to pick up some dinner so we could chill, take in a few episodes of Merlin that's been on the DVR since June, and watch the late college game.

Christina went with a burrito bowl, chips, and guacamole from Chipotle. I chose to get a gyro salad from one of our local Greek restaurants. Both were outstanding. There also may have been a beer and some other "tasty" drinks involved. :)

For dessert, Christina made some gluten free almond flour cookies from this book. Wow were they good! I also had a brownie from the farmer's market and some ice cream. I guess I was a little hungry....

Hopefully it'll be a relatively lazy day with more sleeping in tomorrow. Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment