Thursday, September 17, 2009

Optimum Anabolics - Day 48/Oil Change




A couple of posts ago I talked about Canola oil and the fact that there are much better choices out there.

My personal oil of choice for cooking and high-heat applications is extra virgin, organic coconut oil.

I'll let Certified Nutritionist, Isabel De Los Rios give you the facts...

People have a really hard time believing that coconut oil is not "fattening" or "dangerous". We have all been falsely led to believe that fat, especially saturated fat, is the cause of our weight gain and health problems. This is only half true. Some fats like hydrogenated oils and vegetable oils do contribute to heart disease and weight gain, but good fats like coconut oil, butter and olive oil are actually great fats for our bodies. Think about how much healthier people were in the late 1800's and very early 1900's. Heart disease was almost unheard of back then.

Let's put some of these MYTHS about coconut oil to rest right now.

Myth #1 - Coconut Oil contains a lot of fat so it must be fattening.

Truth - Not all fat makes you fat (I want to get this tattooed on my forehead). Certain fats do cause weight gain, but other good fats will actually burn unwanted fat off your body and accelerate your metabolism.

Myth #2 - Coconut Oil contains almost all saturated fat so it must be bad for you.

Truth - Saturated Fat is not the cause of heart disease, weight gain and high cholesterol. Saturated Fat has been falsely accused and it is SUGAR that is Enemy Numero Uno (It is worse than the Joker in Bat Man).

Myth #3 - Coconut Oil should be avoided by those who are at risk for heart disease .

Truth - The fat in coconut oil is one of the healthiest oils you can consume (yes, even for those with heart disease). It is rich in lauric acid, which is known for its antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties and contains no trans fat. The saturated fat in coconut oil is different than many other oils in that it is of the medium-chain fatty acid (MCFA) variety. The body digests MCFAs more easily and sends these fats directly to the liver where they are immediately converted into energy. Now isn't that great? A fat that is used to make energy instead of storing it on our bodies. We can all use some of that.

Pretty cool, huh?

I buy coconut oil by the gallon and get it here.


WORKOUT - CARDIO (HIGH INTENSITY INTERVAL TRAINING)

My lungs and breathing were quite good today.

The Flying Romans are coming along nicely.
To monitor my progress, I paid particular attention to how long it took me to do 15 on each side. My plan it to beat that time each time I do a set until I get to 30 seconds. Then I'll add 5 reps to each side and start over.

I walked at a steadily increasing pace for 5 minutes or so prior to hopping on the bike for the first interval.

Here are today's intervals:
  • Bike, Intensity 1 (warm up), 5:15
  • Jumping Jacks, Intensity 2, 3:15 ± (160 jumps)
  • Jog, Intensity 2, 4:45 ±
  • Flying Romans, Intensity 3, 38 seconds (15 each leg)
  • Jog, Intensity 2, 3:30 ±
  • Bike, Intensity 2, 4:00 ±
  • Jumping Jacks, Intensity 2, 3:00 ± (about 170 jumps)
  • Flying Romans, Intensity 3, 35 seconds (15 each leg)
  • Jog/Walk (cool down), Intensity 1, 8:20 (jogged 6:35, walked 1:45)
Total Time => 30:25

Comments:

Arms and shoulders are really sore. The muscles that lift my arms above my head (like doing the wave at a ball game) seemed to have been worked the hardest.

Not as sore in my chest as I'd like to be.

Left heel was just so-so today. Progress is slow and I'm still favoring it some.

Calves and feet got stretched for 2 minutes per side today rather than the usual 1 minute per side.


DIET - PROTEIN DEPRIVATION

Since the Optimum Anabolics program has me currently in the Protein Deprivation cycle, it seemed like a good opportunity to whip up a Green Monster. Today's mix included:
  • 1 C Almond Milk
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 1/2 C frozen blueberries
  • 2 tsp Flax Oil
  • 1 tsp Fish Oil
  • 2 TBS Raw Almond Butter
  • 1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum
  • Tons of Spinach (see photo)
  • Cinnamon
  • Cinnamon
  • Cinnamon!
Here are the ingredients all set up and ready to hit the blender:















I leave the spinach for last and then filler 'er up!

















And the end result...
















Awesome!

Mid-morning, I had 2 Asian pears and my raw nut mix.

Lunch was a fantastic cashew salad with cabbage cole slaw mix, red peppers, carrots, and scallions dressed with an almond butter, rice vinegar, lemon juice dressing. The recipe was from our favorite Ultra-Metabolism Cookbook by Dr. Mark Hyman.

Mid-afternoon, I snacked on a cut up tomato and green pepper with a couple of tablespoons of lemony hummus from the same cookbook as above.

Dinner was the leftover lentil taco recipe from Day 45. Romaine lettuce leaves were filled up with the lentils, guacamole, and tomato. On the side, I had a couple handfuls of blue corn chips. A great meal!

I took a teaspoon of Carlson's fish oil then hit the rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment