Thursday, September 3, 2009

Optimum Anabolics - Day 34/Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'

You may recall that I've been dealing with some pain in the soft tissue around my left heal over the last couple of weeks. Following the advice of my massage therapist/reiki master and after doing some searching on the net, I found that treating it with rest (first), static stretching, ice, heat, and massage was a great approach.

I even got creative in my massage method based on the all too hip foam roller concept. I borrowed (hehe) the pooch's tennis ball and started rolling my foot back and forth over it. You would not believe how good this feels! The pain began to subside. The healing had begun.

Then I got in my own way. I admit that I have not been faithfully doing any of the previously mentioned activities this week. This is a common fault of mine. As soon as something (injury, illness, bruises) starts to get better, I somehow ignore the fact that I need to finish out the treatment to keep whatever was the problem in the first place from coming back.

Anyone else struggle with this?


Needless to say, my discomfort has not gotten better over the past week. Back to the ice, heat, stretching, and massage for me! I'll also stay with the post-weight training bike rides this week.

WORKOUT - CARDIO (HIGH INTENSITY INTERVAL TRAINING)

My lungs and breathing were good today so I picked up the pace during the various intervals.

I stuck with the jumping jacks today in an effort to be easy on my still sore left heel.

Sprinting intervals will not be done for a while until I feel confident my left foot can handle it. Instead, I did these again today...plyometric flying Romans. My balance was better today but I'm fairly certain I look nothing like the brick of a trainer in the video. ;-)

Here is today's intervals:
  • Bike, Intensity 1 (warm up), 5:30
  • Jumping Jacks, Intensity 2, 3:30 ± (180 jumps)
  • Jog, Intensity 2, 4:00 ±
  • Flying Romans, Intensity 3, 45 seconds? (15 each leg)
  • Jog, Intensity 2, 4:00 ±
  • Bike, Intensity 2, 4:00 ±
  • Jumping Jacks, Intensity 2, 3:00 ± (160 jumps)
  • Flying Romans, Intensity 3, 45 seconds? (15 each leg)
  • Jog/Walk (cool down), Intensity 1, 6:00 (jogged 4:00, walked 2:00)
Total Time => 31:00 ±

Comments:

Upper chest muscles (just below the collar bone but above the breast) are sore today. First time I can recall them being sore so that's good!

Abs are sore from those reverse crunches on the stability ball. Sheesh!

Good timing on the intervals this week.

DIET - HIGH PROTEIN

For breakfast I baked up this new recipe last night that was recently posted by a peach of a lady, Polly. I made a few modifications to accommodate the ingredients I had on hand so here is what I came up with:

5 eggs

4oz of grass-fed, organic mozzarella cut into small pieces

half cup parmesan cheese

one cup or more barely steamed broccoli

one cup buttermilk

about cup or more ground turkey breast that I made into sausage using this recipe

All this went into a buttered pie plate to bake at 400*. Christina monitored the baking time since I was on the phone but the baking time was probably closer to 40 minutes as opposed to the 30 minutes called for in the recipe.

Here's a look:









I had about a quarter of this along with Christina's homemade salsa, half a yellow pepper and half a Hungarian sweet pepper. What a great breakfast and a nice change from the omelettes I'd been making. Thanks, Polly!

Mid-morning snack was the usual yogurt, ground flax seed, and whey protein isolate powder.

For lunch, a few of us ate at Betty's Fine Food & Spirits here in the Short North district of Columbus. For having a dive-bar atmosphere, this place served up a great meal for a good price. I could have eaten healthier (they had a good selection of salads), but I opted for the bratwurst main plate (no bun!). It came with sauerkraut, grilled peppers and onions, and skillet green beans (these were a substitute for red skin mashed potatoes).

My mid-afternoon snack was my raw nut cocktail, 2 egg whites and 1 yolk.

Dinner tonight was leftover fajitas from Day 32 and green beans sauteed up in EVOO with onion and garlic.

Pre-bed snack tonight was the boring old whey protein isolate powder mixed with a bit of water.

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment