Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Optimum Anabolics - Day 53/Arriba!

Hey Amigos!

Looking back on my day today, I had quite the Hispanic theme going. I had to drop off a business payment on my lunch break and wound up browsing through a new Mexican grocery store near my original destination. Lunch itself (see below) was raw tortilla soup with tostadas purchased from said Mexican grocery. Dinner included blue corn tortilla chips. Chulo! (that's Spanish for "cool")

Anyway...it was a great experience to walk into this Mexican grocery where all the food labels, pricing signs, and advertisements were in Spanish. I wish I would have had my camera! All of the workers were speaking Spanish as well. It reminded me of being in a big city like Chicago or New York where small markets like this are everywhere.

The best part was seeing all the homemade, fresh foods they had available in addition to grocery items from producers you will not see in a chain grocery store. As I mentioned, I purchased some tostadas (see below) that were made in Chicago and tasted amazing!

Next time you're driving to Trader Joe's, or Whole Foods, or your local grocery chain, stop into one of these markets that might be on the way. You never know what you might find there that could become a new favorite food for you. Besides, I'd much rather give my cash-ola (that's Spanglish for money...haha) to the local guy than the big, bad corporation any day.

WORKOUT - BACK

All 3 supersets of the Week 8, Day 4 workout were focused on the back. I tend to build in the chest area fairly quickly so this is good for balancing out my upper body.

Superset 1: Hanging Row, Pull Ups (Assisted)
Superset 2:
Wide Arm Cable Row, Close Grip Lat Pull Down
Superset 3: Twisting DB Row, Wide Arm Lat Pull Down

Total Time => 47:53

Comments:

This workout just murders my grip and forearms. With the exception of the rows, all the exercises require me to hold on tight.

Very pleased with the weights I chose today. I kept my form tight.

My calf muscles were actually somewhat sore today. I have trouble working this area due to the limited equipment I have available so this is a good sign.

DIET - PROTEIN DEPRIVATION

I started my post-workout meal off with a 4 oz piece of leftover grass-fed beef meatloaf that was nearing the end of it's life in the fridge...so glad I rescued it. :) Next up was a bowl full of fresh oatgurt with a chopped up apple, a libra (that's Spanish for pound) of cinnamon, and a big spoonful of almond butter.

Breakfast bowl...















"I want that apple core now! You're killing me!"...















Had to throw in a gratuitous dog shot in there. :)

2 apples and raw almonds, cashews, brazils, and walnuts was my snack mid-morning today.


For lunch, I experimented with another new recipe. Raw tortilla soup! Here is the recipe copied from the blog Choosing Raw...

Raw Tortilla Soup (serves two people with appetites)

Ingredients:

2 tomatoes, chopped
2 large red bell peppers, chopped
1/4 cup sundried tomatoes, packed
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, packed
2 large stalks celery, chopped
3/4 cup water
1 tbsp lime juice
2-3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp paprika
1 clove garlic (optional!! raw garlic is powerful, folks)
Dash cayenne pepper (optional)

Optional toppings: tomato, avocado, onion, corn chips

Instructions:

Blend all ingredients in a minus the olive oil in a blender (a high speed blender will work best, but any will do). When the ingredients are well combined, drizzle in the olive oil with the motor running until the whole mixture is creamy and emulsified.

All the ingredients ready to become soup...
















The soup alone was excellent but wound up being outstanding with the crispy tostadas I bought at the local Mexican market.















The only ingredients for these are corn, water, salt, and coconut oil. Very nice!

As mid-afternoon rolled around, I snacked on a fresh red bell pepper and a tomato from the farmer's market dipped in some lemony hummus.

At dinner time, we tried out a recipe for Greek Wraps with White Bean Hummus that was on line from Vegetarian Times. My plate....
















We totally skipped the wrap part of the recipe and went with blue corn tortilla chips. Really good stuff!

I popped a teaspoon of fish (pescado...hehe) oil before bed and that was it for the night.

Buenas noches!!


No comments:

Post a Comment