Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Optimum Anabolics - Day 5/Getting Things Off My Chest

What things you ask? Dumbbells mostly! (~:

I can't believe the first round of 5 workouts is in the books already!

It was a pretty typical Wednesday for me. Out of bed to workout, fix up a tasty breakfast, shower and then off to work.

After work, I ran a couple of errands, blended up a Green Monster (see below), mowed the lawn, then applied a super cool organic "lawn tonic" to the freshly cut grass.

As I sip my detox tea, a conversation I had with a co-worker earlier today popped into my head. His 2 daughters, one in her mid-20's and the other around 30, have really kicked it into fitness high-gear. The youngest just signed up for a fitness model competition in Greensboro, NC and the oldest ran not one, but two 5K's this past weekend. He also mentioned their fitness routines and nutrition goals which were pretty impressive.

After updating me on his daughters, he gets this sad look on his face and says "they're really trying to make their old man look old". This co-worker of mine has a great home gym and treadmill and puts in a lot of quality time in there. Add in the fact that he works in the yard or around the house nearly non-stop on the weekend and this guy should be ripped up...despite the fact that he's staring 60 in the face.

What's his problem? Diet, diet, diet! His girls are showing him first hand that there are 3 parts to the health and fitness equation. The first is mental. You need to be mentally committed to putting yourself first and set some goals for yourself. Second, you need to move your body in a such a way to move toward your goal(s). Third, you have to fuel your body properly to, again, move toward your goal(s). Sounds simple, right? Simple, yes. Easy, not always.

That's my rant for the day! (-:

WORKOUT - CHEST/ABS

2 supersets of the Day 5 workout were chest related, followed by a superset of abs work

Superset 1: Incline DB Flye, Incline Push Ups (I got creative and used 2 chairs and ladder!)
Superset 2: DB Pullovers, Dips - Chest version (I had to do some assisted reps here...phew!)
Superset 3: Mountain Climbers w/ ankle weights, Hanging knee raises

Total Time => 39:33

Comments:

Felt enormous all day! My shirt was rubbing in the right places. (~:

Legs and booty were sore but not as bad as expected.

Still feeling those abs!

All-in-all it was a good first week. I had to learn a few new exercises and figure out the best weight to use on a few others.

I felt like I did a good job of using strict form. Occasionally this meant lowering the amount I was lifting to make that happen.

Lastly, pre-setting the weights for each exercise is critical to not exceeding rest periods. This will become even more important in the upcoming weeks.

DIET - HIGH PROTEIN

I'm still eating some vacation foods by my diet was pretty solid today...stuck right to the plan I had laid out.

Breakfast should be pretty familiar by now...a post-workout feast of kiszka (a Polish sausage), tomatoes, a nectarine and a kiwi. No pancakes today, though. It was sour oat bread and butter along with the sausage. Friggin' addictive!

Mid-morning snack was a 1/2 cup of yogurt, 1 T of ground flax seeds, and 1/3 scoop plain whey protein isolate powder.

Lunch was a grass-fed beef burger, home made pico de gallo salsa, and an ounce of goat cheese wrapped in a collard green leaf "tortilla". I also ate up some cut up green and red peppers and carrots. Wow, that's a good lunch, huh?!?

Mid-afternoon snack was 2 hard boiled egg whites and one yolk along with a handful of Trader Joes raw nut mix (cashews, almonds, walnuts, raisins).

For dinner it was Green Monster time once again! Are you seeing a trend here?
  • 1/2 banana frozen
  • 1/2 C strawberries frozen
  • 1 tsp Carlsons lemon flavored fish oil
  • Couple handfuls of fresh organic spinach
  • 1 C water
  • 1 scoop plain whey protein isolate powder
As a snack before bed it's going to be a 1/2 cup of lowfat cottage cheese...just enough to keep the muscles fed overnight and fuel an interval cardio workout in the morning!

I'm looking forward to a little cardio, believe it or not! It's been almost 2 weeks! Lace 'em up!

No comments:

Post a Comment