Thursday, August 20, 2009

Optimum Anabolics - Day 20/Listen To Me!

Do you all ever have those moments when it occurs to you that it would be in your best interest to do one thing or another? Or do you have the voice in your head whispering to you that you just might want to do this or that or things could get ugly?

Well, yesterday I had one of those moments with the voice in my head. You see, after my interval cardio workout last Friday, I was having some pain in my left heel. It was not debilitating but it was noticeable when I walked and got worse throughout the day. As the week went on, my heel got better but during my massage therapy appointment on Tuesday with Maggie, she hit upon the fact that my calf muscles were very tight and "stringy". It hit me that the reason my heel might be hurting is because that whole flexible system that surrounds and supports my foot was probably too tight.

Back to the voice in my head yesterday...it was telling me I might want to consider doing some sort of alternate cardio method today or, as I mentioned, it might get ugly. I chose to ignore it and proceed per the schedule. Bad idea! I told myself that it was plenty warm and humid outside and all I needed was a little extra warmup time (which I took, but it didn't help). My left heel is in some pain but worse, I totally pulled something in my *right* calf muscle and had to cut the workout a little short. How do you limp on both legs?? (haha!) Needless to say, if I would've just listened to my body and that voice, I might not be in this situation.

Tomorrow will be a complete rest day.

Here are the details of the day:

WORKOUT - CARDIO (HIGH INTENSITY INTERVAL TRAINING)

My lungs were in very good shape this week since the weight workouts were so fast-paced. Too bad there was that minor calf issue (see above) that brought an otherwise good workout to a screeching halt.

Here was today's intervals:
  • Bike, Intensity 1 (warm up), 5:00
  • Jump Rope, Intensity 2, 3:00 ± (about 300 revolutions)
  • Jog, Intensity 2, 5:00 ±
  • Sprint, Intensity 3, 30 seconds (calf blowout!!)
  • Jog, Intensity 2, 3:30
  • Bike, Intensity 2, 4:00 ±
  • Jump Rope, Intensity 2, 3:00 ± (300 revolutions...faster this time!)
  • Sprint, Intensity 3 scheduled but had to pull up lame at this point.
  • Jog/Walk (cool down), Intensity 1, just long enough to get back to the house
Total Time => 25:30

Comments:

Shoulders and chest feeling it today.

Not too much in the way of soreness left in my legs by late in the day.

Abs were well worked but no problems.

Good timing on the intervals this week until, well, you know.

DIET - HIGH PROTEIN

Breakfast was a beast of an omelet consisting of one egg, two egg whites, fresh salsa, green and red peppers, and raw milk cheddar cheese. I topped it with a few shakes of the Louisiana hot sauce, too, of course. Today I cooked up the homemade Italian sausage (recipe here) into patties and had one along side of the eggs. Very good!

Mid-morning snack was a 1/2 cup of yogurt, 1 T of ground flax seeds, and 1/3 scoop plain whey protein isolate powder.

Lunch was out today at Montgomery Inn! This place has phenomenal BBQ! I had the roasted half chicken with a side of steamed broccoli and a second side of steamed sugar snap peas and carrots. I was full but content so for a restaurant meal, it was pretty darn good.

Mid-afternoon snack was 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and a mix of raw nuts (cashews, almonds, walnuts, Brazil nuts).

For dinner, I stir-fried up some chicken, broccoli, peas, and mixed veggies in a sauce of coconut oil, garlic, and Bragg's liquid aminos. Nothing too exciting but I didn't need a whole lot after the solid lunch I had.

Pre-bed snack was a half scoop of whey protein isolate powder mixed up in a little water.

Tomorrow should be interesting. I'm hoping the heating pad I purchased will provide some relief and quick healing!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, why is listening to our own bodies so difficult? I've been there my friend. Rest rest rest.

    Loved you simple dinner. Veggies stir-fried in coconut oil and bragg's? Perfect if you ask me.

    Loving the blog - keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete