Monday, August 17, 2009

Optimum Anabolics - Day 17/Dogs Are Barkin'

Here we are in mid-August in Central Ohio and The Dog Days of summer are in full effect. A little bit of heat and a humidity percentage to match. This equates to some serious sweating even for a guy who isn't really prone to that sort of thing.

After waking up a touch before the alarm today (about 4:25 a.m.), I put on a "dry fit" shirt in the hopes of just keeping things under control. The relentless leg workout today did not disappoint, however, and it left me soaked to the bone. I know time helps you forget how severe pain was, but I seriously do not *ever* recall going through a leg workout as tough as this one during Week 3 of Optimum Anabolics! It made my high school basketball workouts seem like a warmup!

Needless to say, my dogs are barkin' loud!

Here are the details of the day...

WORKOUT - LEGS

All 3 supersets of the Day 3, Week 3 workout were leg related. Killer!

Superset 1: Forward DB Lunge , Backward DB Lunge
Superset 2: Standing Calf Negatives, Barbell Squats
Superset 3: Donkey Calf Raises, Dead Lifts

Total Time => 48:30

Comments:

Shoulders still sore today from Sunday. Good workout!

Arms were booming today so I must've got 'em pretty good yesterday. Nice!

Abs were feeling that "pump" set today for sure. They didn't appreciate having to provide support for my back while doing squats. My core is really solid right now.

Thighs and glutes started to tighten up later in the day. Seat warmers tomorrow?? We shall see!

As spent as I was after this workout, I gotta say it was a great one. My whole body felt energized the entire day!

DIET - HIGH PROTEIN

Breakfast (post-workout) kicked off with about 1 cup of oatgurt. Into the oatgurt base went a peeled and chopped mango and a big spoonful of TJ's raw almond butter. Outstanding combination! The mango was very sweet and juicy, too. To finish things off, I blended up a toffee protein smoothie of almond milk, some chilled coffee, a frozen banana, espresso flavored whey protein isolate, and
some coconut milk. Good thing I had to go to work or there might've been a second round. (~;

Mid-morning snack was a 1/2 cup of yogurt, 1 T of ground flax seeds, and 1/3 scoop plain whey protein isolate powder.

Lunch was a grass-fed beef burger wrapped in romain leaves along with some salsa that was made yesterday from lots of fresh veggies. On the side, I had yet another blended zucchini salad. Unbelievably good on a hot summer's day! The recipe is here

Mid-afternoon snack was 2 hard boiled egg whites and one yolk along with a handful of raw nut mix (cashews, almonds, walnuts, Brazil nuts). Brazil nuts will now be making a regular appearance in my diet as they are high in selenium. Selenium is mercury's nemesis. Got mercury in your fillings? Yeah, you need selenium to help nutralize your toxic teeth. Sign me up!

Dinner was ANOTHER winner from The Ultra-Metabolism Cookbook by Dr. Mark Hyman. Tonight's feature was garlicky (why does that word have a "k" in it??) lemon Spanish shrimp. Wow! It had a little kick to it but generally it was just good, good, good! The sauce for 1 pound of shrimp was garlic sauteed in EVOO, red pepper flakes, paprika, a bay leaf, and some lemon juice. Simple, right?! Yes! The wife had hers with some brown rice. I had mine with a tomato basil salad along with a little raw milk cheddar. Restaurant quality ferreelz!

Pre-bed snack was a half scoop of whey protein isolate mixed up with some water. Bland, I know, but it does the trick!

See you tomorrow if my legs will lift me out of the bed!


No comments:

Post a Comment