Thursday, August 27, 2009

Optimum Anabolics - Day 27/The Memories

Last night, Christina helped me go through some boxes of stuff that had been cluttering up our basement for the last several years. Most of the boxes were full of college text books, class notes, work books, and other academic paraphernalia. It's basically all worthless now but it did start a flood of memories for me.

The memory flood continued as I got notice from a high school buddy that he had posted our basketball team photo on Facebook. That site is seriously dangerous! (~:

As I did my workout this morning (see below), I couldn't help remember the senior high school days of lacing them up after school for basketball practice and running what seemed like endless drills and sprints. I was in great shape then and couldn't help but think to myself how good those workouts really were.

I don't need to be in that kind of "performance" shape anymore by working out for 2 to 3 hours per day (thankfully). However, it made me think that working out in that style could accomplish quite a bit even in a short period of time. For those folks who have little time to workout, this could be a good thing.

Maybe I should put together a "Hoops" workout plan. Things that make you go "hmmmm...."

WORKOUT - CARDIO (HIGH INTENSITY INTERVAL TRAINING)

My lungs and breathing were good today despite not doing any true cardio in the past 7 days.

Jumping rope was helping to aggravate my calf and feet muscles so I switched to jumping jacks today. Perhaps it's the side-to-side rather than straight up-and-down movement, but these old-fashioned gems didn't seem to be a problem.

Sprinting, on the other hand, was seemingly creating some serious structural issues (meaning it caused injury!) for my lower legs. I tried these bad boys out today...plyometric flying Romans. Wow!

Here is today's intervals:
  • Bike, Intensity 1 (warm up), 5:00
  • Jumping Jacks, Intensity 2, 3:00 ± (about 150 jumps)
  • Jog, Intensity 2, 5:45 ±
  • Flying Romans, Intensity 3, 45 seconds? (10 each leg)
  • Jog, Intensity 2, 5:00 ±
  • Bike, Intensity 2, 4:00 ±
  • Jumping Jacks, Intensity 2, 3:00 ± (about 150 jumps)
  • Flying Romans, Intensity 3, 45 seconds? (10 each leg)
  • Jog/Walk (cool down), Intensity 1, 5:40 (jogged 4:00, walked 1:54)
Total Time => 30:54

Comments:

Shoulders and back feeling a little tight today.

Core feeling tight and strong.

Good timing on the intervals this week.

DIET - HIGH PROTEIN

Breakfast was a beast of an omelet consisting of one egg, two egg whites, leftover grilled chicken (about 2 oz), green and red peppers, red onions and raw milk cheddar cheese. I topped it with a few shakes of the Louisiana hot sauce, too, of course.

Mid-morning snack was a 1/2 cup of yogurt, 4 tsp of ground flax seeds, and 1/3 scoop plain whey protein isolate powder.

We had a lunch meeting today at the office. This created a similar situation to the birthday party on Day 25. Should I eat the pizza provided as a lunch meal? Did I? No. I opted instead for this salad from Chipotle...















Chipotle's salad's are actually fairly healthy "as is" in my opinion. I added a few items from home just to put some icing on the cake (haha). The peppers, cucumbers, carrots and salsa were added on. No dressing necessary! In fact, I told the clerk at the restaurant to leave the container on the shelf. A much better choice than factory pizza. No?

Mid-afternoon snack was 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and the raw nut mix of almonds, walnuts, cashews, and Brazil nuts.

For dinner, I used the leftover apple-soy salmon from the other night for fish tacos in a turnip green "tortilla". On the side, I sauteed up some fresh green beans and mushrooms in coconut oil and Bragg's liquid aminos.
















Can you see how vibrantly green those veggies are?! I pretty much licked the plate clean!

Pre-bed snack was a 1/2 scoop of whey protein isolate powder mixed up with a little water. Yawn. (`:

No comments:

Post a Comment