Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Optimum Anabolics - Day 67/The Losers Missed It

Christina and I kicked back and watched Week 4 of The Biggest Loser this evening. One very important concept surfaced in this episode that was all but glazed over by everyone, including the professional trainers/coaches on the show.

One of the contestants on the Purple Team is medically unable to participate in any of the boot camp style workouts until her inflammation markers (blood work stuff) come down. In the meantime, the other contestants are putting in upwards of 6 hours per day in the gym performing all sorts of workouts varying in style from traditional, steady-state cardio to high intensity intervals, to circuit training with resistance. Despite not working out AT ALL, this purple lady managed to lose 4 LBS during this week.

What? How'd she do that without killing herself at the gym like the rest of the teams?


Diet. Diet. Oh, and diet.

Everyone thought this lady would be in line to go home this week because she was forced to be a couch potato. Not so! And, as I said previously, NO ONE ACKNOWLEDGED IT. In fact, they all treated her like she didn't deserve to be there and there was no way she could've lost that amount without being in the gym.

Show me your nutrition and I'll show you your body. What you eat is 90% of the game, I believe. Workout to sculpt your body, not to make up for the damage you might do in the kitchen.

After 8 seasons of doing this, how could The Biggest Loser skip over this point??

WORKOUT - BACK

All 3 supersets of the Week 10, Day 4 workout were focused on the back.

Superset 1: Twisting DB Rows, Pull Ups (Assisted)
Superset 2:
Wide Arm Cable Row, Close Grip Lat Pull Down
Superset 3: Close Grip Cable Row, Wide Arm Lat Pull Downs

Total Time => 38:46

Comments:

Focused on my form today.

My grip muscles got a bit of a break but still plenty of pulling during this workout.

DIET - HIGH PROTEIN (PLUS 1)

I started my post-workout meal off with a hunk of tahini meatloaf from last night's dinner. Meatloaf for breakfast? Hey, why not? I followed that up with a bowl full of Asian Fusion oatgurt. I tweaked it for my taste by using 1 TBS tahini, 2 tsp raw honey, and 2 tsp of miso paste, 1 TBS of Udo's oil.

Refueling with scenery:
















That gorgeous Lincoln rose was from our back yard and it smelled 10 times better than it looks. Yes, that good.

Before a meeting this morning, I had a 1/2 cup of Greek-style yogurt with 4 tsp of ground flax seed and 1/3 scoop of plain whey protein isolate powder.

After the meeting, a salesman took us out to lunch at a local restaurant, Barley's Smoke House. My meal was a house salad followed by a half a roasted chicken (BBQ sauce on the side) with a side of green beans. On the surface, this sounds like a darn fine meal. It was meh at best. Glad someone else was picking up the check on this one. (~:

I skipped an afternoon snack today for two reasons. First, that lunch chicken was plenty to tie me over until dinner. Second, I wanted to be hungry for dinner that was going to be at 5:00 which is early for me.

As it turns out, dinner wound up being breakfast. I agreed to take part in a taste test for Wendy's International at their headquarters here in Columbus. I tasted two different types of breakfast burritos that may (or may not) be hitting the market soon. A fast food fan I am not, but these burritos were of fairly decent quality. Sauteed green and red peppers and onion, eggs, and monterey jack cheese were stuffed inside a grilled whole wheat tortilla. Good ingredients but only fair taste. I was hoping the chipotle hot sauce would save it but no luck. My egg scrambles at home are much better. Maybe I need to go cook breakfast for the Wendy's folks, huh?

Before bed, I chugged back my 30 grams of plain whey protein isolate powder mixed in water along with my supplements.

No comments:

Post a Comment