Sunday, October 4, 2009

Optimum Anabolics - Day 65/Supplements

As I mentioned yesterday, Week 10 of Optimum Anabolics requires a switch back to a higher protein diet. I figured this was a good time to introduce some supplements that are considered optional on the program.

Here's a quick peek at what I'm taking, the timing, and what they are taken for:
  • Creatine Monohydrate: 5g before and 5g after a workout. Great for providing strength and energy during a workout and for encouraging muscle recovery during the post workout time period.
  • L-glutamine: 5g immediately after a workout and 5g before bed. This supplement is for tissue recovery and secondarily boosts your immune system.
  • Branch Chain Amino Acids: 15g immediately after workout. BCAA's are the building blocks for protein. The muscles soak these up like a sponge in the recovery mode.
  • Fish Oil and Udo's 3-6-9 Oil: Essential Fatty Acid (EFA) sources. I take these throughout the day for so many reasons. There isn't enough room on this post to do justice to what EFA's can do.

WORKOUT - ARMS/ABS

The Week 10, Day 2 workout included 2 supersets of arms followed by a superset of ab work.

Superset 1: DB Concentration Curls, Cable Push Downs
Superset 2: Twisting DB Curls, Dips (tricep version)
Superset 3: Plank (1 minute hold on stability ball), Hanging Knee Raise (with 5 LB ankle weights)

Total Time => 39:28

Comments:

My biceps felt very strong today.

Stability ball plank holds were tough!


DIET - HIGH PROTEIN (PLUS 1)

For breakfast this morning, I went with a protein fest of eggs and sausage. Mmm...protein. With the eggs, I sauteed up some onion and bell pepper and topped it off with some Louisiana Hot Sauce. Ambition got the best of me so I fired up the grill flame the sausage patties. Wow.

As a mid-day snack, I dug some chocolate protein powder out of the pantry and mixed up a protein bar based on the Muscle Hack's recipe which can be found here. I went with raw almond butter, of course.

Post workout (early) dinner was grilled chicken (raw, dairy free) alfredo. Oh yes. The chicken was marinated for a couple of hours in lemon juice, EVOO, garlic, salt, and pepper then grilled up. If you're scoring at home, I did indeed use the grill *twice* today. :-) We healthied the normal version of this dish up (a little, anyway) with organic brown rice noodles. I also sauteed mini-bella mushrooms with a sliced up onion and coconut oil. This went over the pasta before the alfredo sauce topped it all off. Dinner to die for, kids.

I forgot to mention in my previous post what the deal was with the "Plus 1" in the diet section of the blog. For the next 3 weeks, I'll be taking in 30 grams or so of protein right before bed. Most likely, this will come in the form of whey protein powder but might also include cottage cheese. The main requirement is that this snack should be low fat and low carb to keep from raising insulin levels too high during the night which can inhibit growth hormones. Bad news when you're trying to increase muscle mass.


No comments:

Post a Comment